top of page
No tags yet.




  • Facebook Clean Grey
  • Twitter Clean Grey
  • Instagram Clean Grey

ROSIE'S SONG FOR MARILYN: "One day we'll meet again"

I (Rosie) am a music student studying “Simply Music”, a course that thinks outside the square. I had found that immersing myself in learning music was the best medicine for me. It took me to another world were I could disassociate my cancer pain and any other discomforts from my various treatments. I can recommend music therapy as a effective adjunct to medical treatment.

One evening in 2008, the music to this song came to me. Then, on June 1st 2009, the words of the first verse ran through my mind. I dearly wanted to ring the hospital where Mal was and play it to her. But I couldn’t bring myself to do it. It wasn’t finished. It wasn’t ready. She passed away the next morning.

In 2010 the song was completed, but I always wished I had called her that night and shared the first part of the song with her. I guess my message to others out there is that you should never wait to tell someone how much they mean to you. Don’t even wait one day.

I hope by producing this song, it will help anyone suffering from a loss to move on and find peace.

My dear friend Marilyn was diagnosed with breast cancer in July 2000. She subsequently had surgery to remove part of her breast, followed by chemotherapy and radiation. She went into remission for eight years. But, in January 2008 whilst supporting me in my predicament , she was diagnosed with Uterine Serous Papillary Carcinoma. She under went chemotherapy again. This brought her cancer marker blood tests back to normal levels, but in August the cancer had returned aggressively and she was informed that her condition was terminal. As we went through our different regimes of treatment, we continually supported each other. It was difficult at times as we both lived many thousand kilometers away in different states. Mal lived in Queensland and I live in Tasmania. Thank goodness for Skype. It allowed Mal and I to video conference each other without great cost. With a cup of tea in hand we would talk openly of our concerns. Mal was always beautifully presented and we always made sure our wigs were on straight when Skyping each other. I always made Mal laugh when I told her of my embarrassing moments concerning my wayward wig.

Towards the end of the year she was offered palliative chemotherapy, but declined because it would affect the quality of her life for the next few months. After returning from trips to New Zealand and then Europe in December and January 2009, she decided to commence the palliative chemotherapy, but after two sessions she was not able to continue with it.

She passed away on the 2 June 2009.

bottom of page